May Is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month
Each year, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) declares May to be "National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month." It's a peak season for asthma and allergy sufferers, and a perfect time to educate patients, family, friends, co-workers and others about these diseases.
Thanks to the efforts and the tenacity of many researchers, the patients’ perception of their disease, collected with patient-reported outcome measures, is increasingly considered at least as important as the traditional objective measures. In asthma, the Asthma Control Questionnaire (ACQ)1 and the Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire (AQLQ)2-4 are widely used in clinical research.
Following an NIH-organized workshop convened in March 2010 and finalized in September 20115, the Asthma Outcomes Workshop designated two asthma control composite score instruments6 (the ACQ1 and the Asthma Control Test7,8) as core measures for National Institutes of Health–initiated clinical research in adults because of the importance of asthma control as a goal of therapy, extensive validation data, and low patient burden and risk.
As for the AQLQ, it was the only one health-related (HRQL) questionnaire which enabled (for the first time) an asthma medicine, i.e., Advair HFA, to obtain a HRQL labeling claim (PROLABELS™ search). See label at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/021254s026lbl.pdf and medical review at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2006/021254s000_MedR_P1.pdf
Both measures are exclusively distributed by Mapi Research Trust and translated by Mapi Language Services.
For more information, please visit ePROVIDE™
- Juniper EF, O’Byrne PM, Guyatt GH, Ferrie PJ, King DR. Development and validation of a questionnaire to measure asthma control. Eur Respir J 1999;14:902-7.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Ferrie PJ, Griffith LE. Measuring quality of life in asthma. Am Rev Respir Dis 1993; 147: 832-8.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Epstein RS et al. Evaluation of impairment of health related quality of life in asthma: development of a questionnaire for use in clinical trials. Thorax 1992; 47: 76-83.
- Juniper EF, Buist AS, Cox FM et al. Validation of a standardized version of the Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire. Chest 1999; 115: 1265-70.
- Busse WW, Morgan WJ, Taggart V, Togias A. Asthma outcomes workshop: overview. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012;129(3 Suppl):S1-8.
- Cloutier MM, Schatz M, Castro M, et al. Asthma outcomes: composite scores of asthma control. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;129(3 Suppl):S24-33.
- Nathan RA, Sorkness CA, Kosinski M, et al. Development of the asthma control test: a survey for assessing asthma control. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;113:59-65.
- Schatz M, Sorkness CA, Li JT, et al. Asthma Control Test: reliability, validity and responsiveness in patients not previously followed by asthma specialists. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006;117:549-56.